New ASM Student Council Chair Morrison looks to the year ahead after tumultuous spring

Morrison said she is excited to lead the body's 24th session. Here, she is pictured on the night of ASM's election.

Morrison and Welsh to lead 24th session of Student Council

For many representatives of the Associated Students of Madison, the Monday night elections of the body’s 24th session leadership signaled a fresh start for the group, which concluded a year of battles with the legislature, administration and other campus groups over a multitude of student issues.

Leading the new session are ASM Chair Katrina Morrison, former chair of the Student Activity Center Governing Board, and Vice Chair Billy Welsh, former chair of Sustainability Committee. Both leaders said they are excited to begin their new leadership roles on student council.

“I can’t wait to start serving on the student body as chair of ASM,” Morrison said. “I think a lot of the members have incredible ideas. They were spitting out campaigns.”

During the election, many students said it will be critical for the 24th session to repair relationships with administration after the previous session's month-long controversy over a divisive piece of divestment legislation, a point that Rep. Dylan Resch, Morrison’s competition for chair, reiterated before the vote.

“I have witnessed the failures of the previous council to be held accountable to students and I am not convinced that those failures will cease,” Resch said. “We are entering the most dire hour of this body and without clear change, we may soon become obsolete, which would be the greatest disservice to the student body.”

Morrison said she is interested in rebuilding those relationships with administrators, students and state legislators and feels confident in the 24th session’s ability to do so.

The body will meet again Thursday, where they will vote in members to fill leadership roles for the Grant Allocation Committee, SAC Governing Board, Student Services Finance Committee and Sustainability Committee.