Former UW-Madison administrator emphasizes importance of shared governance

Former UW-Madison Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration Darrell Bazzell spoke to the Associated Students of Madison Shared Governance Committee Wednesday about the importance of their role in shared governance at the university.

Shared governance is the process of collaboration between academic staff, university staff, faculty and students in making important decisions regarding the university. Bazzell, who will be leaving UW-Madison to take a position at the University of Texas at Austin, was recognized by the committee as a longtime advocate of shared governance.

“Shared governance is just another way to make sure that those who are impacted by the policies and the choices we make are part of the conversation,” Bazzell said.

Bazzell stressed the necessity of involving students in the decision-making process. He emphasized that it is an obvious choice to include students on decisions that impact their experiences at their university, and explained that administrators value the new perspectives students bring to the conversation.

“There is not a single administrator here that doesn’t appreciate the input you provide because you walk in a pair of shoes we don’t,” Bazzell said.

Bazzell explained the need for shared governance is increasing because the issues brought to the table are more complex than in the past.

“As times change and issues become more difficult, that demand for more leadership and where you put yourself in situations is becoming more important,” he said.

According to Bazzell, the best way to ensure the continuation of shared governance is for students to strive to be problem-solvers and effective communicators. He urged committee members to go beyond simply expressing their personal concerns and acknowledge the opinions of other groups.

“Think beyond your own local interest and find solutions that work for multiple constituencies and governance groups,” Bazzell said.