C.P. VanValkenburg

Daily Cardinal
THE BEET

Corduroy pillows make headlines across the country

The new nationwide trend of corduroy pillows has recently reached the Madison community. Madison citizens can be seen in coffee shops, on bicycles or even strolling down State Street while sporting freshly pressed lines across their cheeks. Designer pillow extraordinaire Kevin Thomas gave Daily Cardinal reporters some insight as to why the trend has caught on so quickly.

Johnny Cash
News

Record Routine: Johnny Cash comes inside on new outtakes collection

On March 25, Legacy Recordings released Out Among the Stars, a full album comprised of 12 never-before heard studio recordings by the late Johnny Cash. The tracks were unearthed by Cash and June Carter’s only son, John Carter Cash, who said he found the recordings while browsing the family archives. The tracks were produced by Country Music Hall of Famer Billy Sherrill in the early 1980s in Nashville, Tenn. and were then shelved by Columbia Records.

Daily Cardinal
BASKETBALL

Friend, coach, mentor at risk

Like many who watched the Penn State-Wisconsin football game a few weeks ago, I couldn’t avoid thinking about last year’s horrifying revelations of former Nittany Lions Assistant Coach Jerry Sandusky’s crimes against children. From the infamous 23-page grand jury indictment to the cringe-worthy phone interview with Sandusky on NBC’s “Rock Center”—I will never forget a sullen Bob Costas speaking of “rhythmic slap, slap, slapping sounds”—the news story was unlike anything I’d ever come across before. The lurid accusations, the high-profile figures, the institutional failure—it all seemed so surreal.

SPORTS

Season ending loss handed down by rival Minnesota at tournament

It was deja vu for the Wisconsin women’s soccer team Wednesday in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament in Evanston, Ill. In their previous meeting with Minnesota on Sept. 29, Wisconsin trailed 2-0 in brutal weather conditions but ended the game with a win. The same scenario presented itself Wednesday, but there would be no comeback this time. Instead, the Badgers as they were eliminated at the hands of their archrival.

More articles »