Theta Chi Fraternity no longer affiliated with UW following misconduct investigations

The Psi chapter of Theta Chi Fraternity has ended its participation as a UW-Madison registered student organization after the university’s investigation into misconduct resulted in unsubstantiated findings.

On Friday, the chapter renounced their student organization status in a letter to Chancellor Rebecca Blank. This comes after nearly a year of investigation into the fraternity following multiple allegations of misconduct.

UW-Madison’s Division of Student Life began its investigation into the chapter on Dec. 8, 2017 for alcohol and drug-related incidents.

The university found the chapter responsible for charges of underage drinking, inappropriate text messaging and Rohypnol drugging, resulting in a 10-month suspension.

The charge of Rohypnol drugging was later dismissed and the suspension was minimized by 20 days. However, the Division of Student Life began two more investigations in October 2018, looking into recruitment activity violations and unregistered social events at the chapter house.

According to a Theta Chi press release, the experience of the university’s due processing put a strain on chapter members in Madison. This led to their decision to cut ties with the university.

“Psi Chapter and its student members have been subjected to a seemingly flawed and fundamentally unfair University judiciary process,” the organization said in a press release Friday. “The Psi Chapter feels it has been judged under a system of guilty until proven innocent.”

In a statement released by UW-Madison, Interim dean of students Argyle Wade expressed his disappointment in the chapter’s decision to no longer be a registered student organization.

“In recent months we have made numerous efforts to engage and communicate with Theta Chi in hopes that it would operate in a manner consistent with our expectations of our Registered Student Organizations,” Wade said. “Misconduct allegations are taken seriously and addressed through a fair process.”

Although no longer affiliated with the university, the Psi Chapter of Theta Chi Fraternity will continue to operate in Madison.