What to know about tomorrow’s midterm election

Polls for the highly anticipated general midterm election will be open across the UW-Madison campus on Tuesday, Nov. 6, from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. for those who haven’t already voted.

Held every four years, the heated election for governor has six candidates. Republican incumbent Gov. Scott Walker is running for his third term to continue his agenda to cut taxes, promote Foxconn and freeze UW System tuitions.

Democratic contender and state Superintendent Tony Evers plans invest in public education, improve infrastructure and expand health care coverage.

The ballot also includes Maggie Turnbull for the Independent party, Phil Anderson for the Libertarian party, Michael White for the Green Party and Arnie Enz for the Wisconsin Party.

The lieutenant governor position will be filled by either incumbent Republican Rebecca Kleefisch or Democratic candidate Mandela Barnes, who is a state assembly member and Milwaukee native.

Voters have the choice for the U.S. Senate election between Democratic incumbent Tammy Baldwin and Republican candidate Leah Vukmir, who was endorsed by President Trump and Gov. Walker.

The battle for attorney general — the head of the Department of Justice and state legal officer — is between Democratic candidate Josh Kaul, a federal prosecutor from Oshkosh, and Republican incumbent Brad Schimel, who won in 72 counties last midterm election.

The ballot will also include elections for state treasurer, secretary of state, U.S. representative, odd-numbered Wisconsin state senate seats, all Wisconsin assembly seats and some local offices.

Registration will be available at designated polling locations based on one’s address. Acceptable forms of identification for voting include a valid Wisconsin driver’s license, Wisconsin state ID, U.S. passport, U.S. Uniformed Services card, Veterans Affairs ID, tribal ID or Certificate of Naturalization. Voters must provide proof of residency to register on election day.

UW-Madison students who do not have these forms can obtain a UW–Madison voter-compliant ID by presenting their Wiscard. They must present the voter-compliant ID with their voter verification letter at their polling location in order to vote. Voter verification letters can be found through the online student center.

Uber, Lyft and Union Cab will provide discounted rides to and from polls on Election Day to promote voting.

For more information and candidate biographies click here.