The City of Madison is working with the Wisconsin Air National Guard to clean up the water supply after it was contaminated by substances originating at the National Guard’s base at Truax Field, Mayor Paul Soglin said.

Madison aims to reduce water contamination in wells

The City of Madison is initiating an effort to clean up the city’s water supply after two wells tested positive for small amounts of contamination.

Both contaminated wells contained small amounts of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), man-made chemicals used in textile manufacturing and firefighting foams. In large quantities, PFAS contamination in humans can cause negative health effects like low infant birth rates and immune system issues.

One of the contaminated wells is located near East Towne Mall, less than a mile from the Wisconsin Air National Guard base at Truax Field. Both the base and the adjacent Dane County Regional Airport have hosted firefighter training sessions, where PFAS-containing foams have been used.

Madison Mayor Paul Soglin, in a letter addressed to Captain Matthew Shaw of the Wisconsin Air National Guard, asked the troops stationed at Truax Field to prioritize study of PFAS movement off the base and clean up the areas to which the contamination has spread.

“The Madison community wants PFAS-free drinking water,” Soglin wrote. “While the level of
PFAS currently detected at the municipal well is not considered a threat to human health, I am concerned that … PFAS levels may rise to a level of human and environmental health concern.”