Incoming Gov. Tony Evers continues to assert his commitment to progressive health care reform, a potential harbinger of partisan battles down the road.

Evers appoints health policy team, emphasizes progressive reforms

As Governor-elect Tony Evers announced a team of progressive health policy advisors, he has prepared to push for health care reform against a heavily conservative Legislature.

Though state Republicans have committed to maintaining their reforms under exiting Gov. Scott Walker, Evers has other plans for the state’s health care markets.

“Expanding access to affordable health care for Wisconsin residents is a top priority for our administration," Evers said. "Our Health Policy Advisory Council will help our transition team put together a comprehensive health care plan that takes steps to increase access to health care coverage, like taking the Medicaid expansion dollars, while bringing down costs."

Walker refused federal money to expand access to Medicaid under the Obama administration, a perk offered to states under the Affordable Care Act.

The team notably includes health policy experts from Planned Parenthood, Disability Rights of Wisconsin, UW Health and the Foundation for Black Women’s Wellness.

Adding progressive voices to health care around the governor’s office could signal Evers’ commitment to Democratic reform and potential political battles with Republicans once he takes office.

"Voters said loud and clear on election day they want Wisconsin leaders to focus on health care," Evers said. "It's time to end the attacks on the Affordable Care Act so those with pre-existing conditions don't have to worry about losing coverage and move our state forward on expanding access.”