Despite a general uptick in the performance of most schools throughout the state, a new report from the Department of Public Instruction shows the socioeconomic roots of gaps in academic performance.

DPI report shows school improvement, but pervasive inequalities

In a new report from the Department of Public Instruction, more students are shown to be meeting or exceeding state expectations, but a vast majority of those meeting few or none of the state’s standards come from economically disadvantaged families.

There are 1,723 schools that met or exceeded expectations this year, while just 249 met few expectations and 95 schools failed to meet any.

Of schools failing to meet expectations, 78.4 percent of students come from economically disadvantaged households. Sixty-two percent of students came from economically disadvantaged families in schools that met few expectations.

In contrast, schools with the highest possible rating had just 24.9 percent of students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.

Overall, the state saw a 2 percent bump in schools meeting or exceeding expectations.

The report card program was initiated three years ago in order to provide more accountability and transparency across the state’s educational performance.