Madison Mayor Paul Soglin announced his re-election campaign in a video Friday, despite saying in July that he would not run.

Soglin reverses course, announces re-election campaign

Just three months after announcing he would not run for re-election, Madison Mayor Paul Soglin declared his candidacy in a surprise move Friday morning.

Soglin, who has served as mayor on three separate occasions, announced in July he would not seek another four-year term. At the time of the announcement, he was campaigning for the Democratic nomination for governor, which he lost.

Soglin released a video taking back his previous statement and announcing his campaign for re-election.

“There is much I’d like to finish with you,” Soglin said in the video. “Madison needs a strong mayor with the vision to encourage growth and the experience to effectively manage it.”

He claimed that a broad coalition of people including “business leaders, progressives, conservatives, people of color, longtime Madison residents and people new to our city” have encouraged him to run again since July.

“Why have I changed my mind? A lot has happened over a couple of months,” he said. “We’ve faced significant tests. Trump policies are wreaking havoc for our citizens and our city’s future. That will continue.”

Soglin will join a crowded field of seven candidates. The primary election is Feb. 19, 2019, with a general election on April 2.