Former President Barack Obama rallied in Milwaukee Friday to support Democratic candidate for governor Tony Evers and U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin in the impending midterm election.

Obama rallies state Democrats in Milwaukee ahead of Biden visit

Just days after President Donald Trump rallied in Mosinee for Gov. Scott Walker and Republican Senate candidate Leah Vukmir, former President Barack Obama spoke at a Milwaukee high school Friday in support of state Democrats.

In hopes of boosting Democratic turnout as next month’s midterm elections approach, Obama spoke to a crowd of about 3,500 people.

“The consequences of anyone sitting out of this election are profound,” the former president said. “The character of our country is on the ballot.”

Obama came to give a boost to Democratic challenger for governor Tony Evers and U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin.

Beyond just turnout, he also took several shots at Walker, who has claimed he will continue to protect health care coverage for those with preexisting conditions, despite OK'ing a state lawsuit against the Affordable Care Act, one of the most defining pieces of Obama’s legacy.

“If you take one position then you should be held accountable for the position you take,” he said. “You can’t pretend you didn’t take the position because it’s politically expedient. You can’t just lie about it.”

State Republican leadership has said they would consider passing a separate law to ensure such protections if their lawsuit is successful, but it is unclear how that would function.

“Tammy Baldwin is an extreme liberal out to finish the job that Barack Obama started,” said Alec Zimmerman, spokesman for the Republican Party of Wisconsin. “Now Tammy Baldwin and her far-left allies are telling more lies to scare voters while they push a one-size-fits-all takeover of health care that would end private health insurance for millions of Wisconsinites.”

Following back-to-back presidential visits, former Vice President Joe Biden will rally in Milwaukee as well as at Gordon Dining and Event Center in Madison for state Democrats on Tuesday.