Former President Barack Obama’s newest list of endorsed candidates includes Democrats in tight races around Wisconsin.

Obama endorses several Wisconsin Democratic hopefuls

Former President Barack Obama endorsed Wisconsin Democratic candidates Tony Evers, Tammy Baldwin and Randy Bryce on Monday.

These backings were included in Obama’s latest list of endorsed candidates for the 2018 midterm elections, which added 260 names to his previous list from August.

After remaining quiet for months after the 2016 presidential election, Obama’s first public criticism toward President Donald Trump during a speech in September led the way for his continued support of Democratic candidates in the upcoming midterms.

“As College Democrats, we believe that today’s endorsements from President Obama show that our party leader believes Wisconsin Democratic candidates are still carrying on his message of hope and progressive change,” said Sam Schwab, press secretary of College Democrats. “We believe that President Obama is a strong voice for peace and unity, and we are proud to have gained today’s endorsements.”

Obama’s support of State Superintendent Tony Evers for Governor and Mandela Barnes for Lt. Governor show his opposition to Trump’s endorsement of incumbent Gov. Scott Walker. Unlike his opponent, Evers promises to maintain Obama’s Affordable Care Act if elected.

“Tony is focused on his positive vision for Wisconsin and the issues that matter most to hard-working families like protecting people with pre-existing conditions, fixing Wisconsin’s crumbling roads and infrastructure, and fully funding public schools,” Obama stated. “Wisconsin deserves a governor who will govern with respect, experience, and who will put Wisconsin families before special interests and personal political ambitions.”

Another advocate for affordable health care, U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., also received support from Obama in her re-election campaign against Trump-supported Sen. Leah Vukmir, R-Wis.

In the summer of 2017, Bryce, a U.S. Army veteran and protector of anti-labor laws, joined the race for Wisconsin’s 1st Congressional District. Bryce was grateful to receive the Obama’s support Monday.

“For too long, the working people in our district have been ignored — but when he was in office, President Obama heard them,” Bryce said. “Time and time again, President Obama has reminded us to see the good and fight for what’s just and fair. We are living in a time when people have to come first, before partisanship or party loyalty — we have to ask ourselves what is best for people and future generations.”