Embrace the original content on sites like Netflix and Hulu.

Giving Netflix and Hulu originals a chance is worth it, here’s why

As a frequent watcher of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon video and all of the other streaming sites I use under my friends’ names, seeing the words “Netflix Original” starting to pop up on the cover of various titles in my queue had me worried. Rumors of Disney and other billion-dollar film companies pulling their content from Netflix was worrisome. What would we watch?

Today, however, embracing this change isn’t that bad. I’m sure that many people with a Netflix, Hulu, HBO or Amazon subscription can name at least one original movie or show they tried and ended up liking. So, here are two examples showing why everyone should embrace streaming originals instead of avoiding them at all costs.

Netflix Original Movie “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”

If you own Netflix and you’re a fan of romantic comedies, your Netflix account probably recommended “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” and you’ve probably already seen it. Romantic comedy fans can agree that there has been a lack of quality movies in the genre in recent years. The era of Tom Hanks-Meg Ryan knock outs or Sandra Bullock-Hugh Grant love stories have come and gone, and rom-com fans everywhere have been searching for a fix.

Netflix has just that. With two stellar romantic comedies starring recent sensation Noah Centineo, Netflix has produced fantastic romantic movies that have satisfied this recent need. “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” and “Sierra Burgess is a Loser” are only two of the many films that I urge any doubters of Netflix originals to give a try. For the viewers wanting something less romantic and a little more comical I would suggest “The Package” or “Switch it Up.”

Hulu Original Series "The Handmaid’s Tale"

I know, Netflix is one of the leading players in the instant streaming game, but Hulu has made a name for itself and created a handful of Hulu original shows that have gone on to win over a dozen awards and captivated the masses.

If you’re like me, I find a show I love and watch it nine times over (“The Office”). But now, it’s time to try something new. “The Handmaid’s Tale” is an example of a show worth trying. Based off of a best-selling book, this series is as addictive as a binge-watching show can be. Lead star Elisabeth Moss gives an amazing performance in a dystopian-world setting that left all of my roommates and I on the edge of our seats. I am normally into comedy shows and sappy love stories, but even I was obsessed with this show.

When Netflix originally came along, people were unsure of how their watching habits would be affected, and now it is widely accepted. These companies have expanded and their production of original content has improved with it. Instead of clicking quickly to “Parks and Rec” or “Friends,” try something new and binge it all.