State officials debate gun control following Middleton shooting

In the wake of the shooting at a Middleton company Wednesday, U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin stressed the need for gun control policies “consistent with the Second Amendment.”

The shooting shows the need for greater safety measures, such as universal background checks and banning bump stocks, Baldwin said at a press conference Thursday.

“As a gun owner myself, I believe that the Second Amendment is absolutely consistent with stronger safety regulations,” Baldwin said.

The incident at WTS Paradigm left four injured, but all the victims are expected to survive. The shooter, who was a fellow employee, died in the hospital after being shot by a police officer.

Middleton, Madison and Dane County police officers, as well as the FBI responded to the shooting. Baldwin said it was their quick action that “...prevent[ed] something that could have been far worse — but it was bad enough as is.”

Sen. Leah Vukmir’s campaign manager Jess Ward said Baldwin’s comments were “do-nothing nonsense” for a serious issue. Baldwin and Vukmir are both vying for seats in the U.S. Senate this fall.

“She wants to increase the number of gun laws, then hypocritically supports the appointing of dangerous liberal judges who don’t actually hold individuals accountable for breaking the laws,” Ward said.

At the press conference, Baldwin encouraged voters to cast their ballots early for the November election, saying not to take her lead in the Marquette Law School poll for granted. She called herself the “number one target” of Super PACs supporting Vukmir.