Shelia Stubbs, a Dane County supervisor and incoming assemblywoman, had the police called on her while she met with constituents to discuss issues and her campaign.

Resident calls cops on canvassing Assembly candidate Shelia Stubbs

Dane County Supervisor Shelia Stubbs was canvassing a neighborhood as a part of her campaign to represent the 77th Assembly District when a neighbor called the police on her.

The caller told police that they thought Stubbs, who was accompanied by her 71-year-old mother and 8-year-old daughter, was waiting for a drug deal.

“It was just so degrading,” Stubbs told The Cap Times, who first reported the story. “It was humiliating. It was insulting.”

She did not disclose the name of the neighborhood, but said it was predominantly white.

"It's 2018," Stubbs said. "It shouldn't be strange that a black woman's knocking on your door. I didn't do anything to make myself stand out. I felt like they thought I didn't belong there."

The soon-to-be assemblywoman, who won a massive plurality in last month’s Democratic primary, said that while the police handled the matter professionally, she regretted having to explain the situation to her young daughter.

Stubbs faces no Republican challenger in the November election.