As the Student Services Finance Committee representatives discussed Wunk Sheek's funding eligibility, members of the native student organization waited for the body's decision in the back of the room. 

Native student organization granted funding in ongoing finance hearings

Wunk Sheek, UW-Madison’s only Native student organization, regained their eligibility for segregated fees in an unanimous Student Service Finance Committee vote Monday.

Every fall, the SSFC allocates more than $1.3 million in student segregated fees to student organisations like Wunk Sheek on campus.

Following Wunk Sheek’s eligibility hearing last Thursday, SSFC representatives concluded that the group’s programing agenda met their funding criteria. The committee evaluated Wunk Sheek’s past programing as well as its vision for the 2018-’19 school year.

“I personally feel they do a really good job with their core programming and laying out strategies for their core programing and how they will do that,” said Vice Chair Zaakir Abdul-Wahid. “I totally think that they meet all their requirements for eligibility.”

Other representatives agreed, adding the group fills a niche that other university services can’t.

“They have a lot more perspective than what we’re exposed to from the university,” said Rep. Henry Galles. “They’re really knowledgeable about what they do and have the firsthand experience that a lot of us lack, at least I know I do.”

The amount of funding Wunk Sheek will receive will be announced when the committee completes its student organization eligibility hearings and finalizes its budget later on this fall.

SSFC came under scrutiny last year for its segregated fee allocation process, which some students said created barriers to funding for underrepresented groups on campus. At one point, the body faced two separate Student Judiciary lawsuits, including the Wisconsin Association of Black Men and the Multicultural Student Coalition.

“It just didn't seem as if the SSFC ways embodied the Wisconsin Idea,” said WABM president Kenneth Jackson. “It seemed almost purposefully confusing and purposefully complicated … and very problematic in terms of getting new orgs funded.”

SSFC responded to those criticisms by saying their strict policies allow the body to allocate funds without political or ideological influence.

“It’s a good way now because it does allow us to look at a set of criteria as opposed to looking at an organization’s mission,” said SSFC Chair Jeremy Swanson. “I think that criteria has allowed us to empower both underrepresented groups and other organizations on campus.”