Madison Police charged a man with a hate crime after he threatened to kill a black police officer while using racial slurs.

Man charged with hate crime after threatening black police officer

While he was being booked into jail, a man committed a hate crime against a police officer early Friday morning, according to the Madison Police Department.

The man was arrested in Genna’s Lounge on Main Street after telling two women he had a gun in his pocket and threatening to kill himself.

Police determined he did not have a gun and arrested him for disorderly conduct. While he was being booked, the man reportedly motioned at a black police officer and threatened to kill him, using racial slurs in the process.

A charge of battery toward a police officer with a hate crime enhancer was added to the disorderly conduct charge against the man.

The weekend saw a number of violent crimes, including a shooting that occurred on the city’s east side Sunday morning.

City Alder Amanda Hall, District 3, wrote in a blog post that the victim and perpetrator knew each other, and the attack is believed to be targeted. The man underwent surgery and is expected to survive, Hall said. The suspect has not yet been apprehended.

Also early Sunday morning, a 21-year-old man was arrested for battering a 30-year-old man with his skateboard on State Street. The suspect was arrested and charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and methamphetamine, battery and resisting arrest.