Cephus argues that the simultaneous criminal and Title IX investigations into sexual assault charges made against him violated his rights.

Judge orders Cephus to stand trial for sexual assault charges

Suspended Badgers wide receiver Quintez Cephus will stand trial for two sexual assault felonies after a Dane County judge denied a motion by his lawyers to drop one of the charges.

Cephus was charged with two counts of felony sexual assault stemming from an incident in April. Two women accused him of assaulting them while drunk. Cephus has denied any wrongdoing , but remains indefinitely suspended from the football team.

“I’m innocent. I know the truth. They know the truth,” Cephus said. “I look forward to clearing my name and fighting for who I am.”

His roommate, fellow wide receiver Danny Davis, was present during the alleged incident, but has not been charged. He was suspended from the football team for two games, which have been served.

At a preliminary hearing Tuesday, Dane County Judge Jill Karofsky rejected a motion from Cephus’ lawyers to have one of the charges dropped. His lawyers claimed to have video proof that one of the women was not drunk, but Karofsky decided the video did not show enough to prove anything.

A Madison police detective, backed up many of the claims in the criminal complaint filed against Cephus in her testimony at the hearing. Karofsky determined this qualified as probable cause against Cephus and ordered him to stand trial.

After the hearing, Cephus and his lawyers again professed his innocence.

“All three people who were in that room that night knew exactly what they were doing,” said Kathy Stilling, one of Cephus’ defense lawyers. “We are looking forward to getting out all of the facts and to clearing this fine young man's name.”