UHS hopes Chlamydia self-screening will help catch positive infections early so female students can be treated as soon as possible.

Female students now have the option to self-screen for Chlamydia at UHS

Female students now have access to Chlamydia self-screening through UHS, allowing them to check for the STI without meeting face-to-face with a doctor.

To schedule a Chlamydia self-screening, female students must log into MyUHS and select the self-screen option. Then they must choose a time to come to UHS and decide if they would like to take a urine sample or a vaginal swab. The patient will then come in for their scheduled appointment, check in and go to the lab desk to receive the specimen label and instructions on how to collect their specimen.

In an interview with UHS, Liz Falk, a nurse practitioner in the Women’s Health Clinic, said that through this process patients do not have to make any contact with UHS staff.

Falk said the test is no-cost and the results are typically available within three to five business days, making the test convenient for patients.

Aside from convenience, Falk said the self-screening process makes STI screening more accessible for those who face barriers, such as feeling uncomfortable talking about sexual health.

This fall, UHS also launched Telehealth contraception visits in order to reduce barriers for students.

With national rates of reported cases of Chlamydia rising in recent years, according to the CDC, Falk said UHS wants to normalize testing for STIs, whether that be through in-person screening or self-screening.

UHS hopes to offer all students, regardless of sex, self-screen tests for a variety of STIs in the near future.