Following the recent floods, Dane County will enact over $18 million in initiatives designed to recover and prevent future disasters of the same kind.

Dane County announces $18 million flood relief program

Following weeks of historic flooding across the greater Madison area, the Dane County government announced plans for over $18 million in initiatives designed to recover from damage and to prevent future flooding events.

“This summer’s historic rains brought flooding and destruction to many areas throughout Dane County,” Dane County Executive Joe Parisi said. “Our charge moving forward is to come together as one community to ensure that we will recover, continue to partner to improve our lakes and waterways, and strengthen our infrastructure and emergency response to become even more resilient in the future.”

Highlighting the initiatives is a $2.5 million project dedicated to improving water flow in the Yahara River, which connects the four Madison-area lakes. The money will be used to dredge sediment, remove weeds and debris and identify points in the river where flow could be restricted.

The county will also pay $1.5 million for recovery efforts aimed at repairing parks and trails damaged in recent floods.

An important part of the county’s future prevention plans is adding areas of wetlands near flood-prone areas. The county will pay $750,000 to property owners to convert part of their land to wetlands.

The program also includes a $9 million initiative for the county to directly buy property that can be used for reducing water runoff and flood impact.