UW-Madison’s Campus plan recognized for excellence in analysis and planning.

Campus Master Plan awarded for analysis, design

UW-Madison’s Campus Master Plan won an award for its excellence in analysis and planning Tuesday.

The American Society of Landscape Architects granted the plan an Honors Award as part of their ASLA 2018 Professional Awards. UW-Madison, along with 25 other winners, were chosen from 350 entries.

The awards recognize excellence in landscape architecture and are chosen based on general design, analysis, planning, communications, research and residential design.

UW-Madison Facilities Planning and Management creates a new plan every 10 years. The award-winning plan was created in 2015.

The plan is used as a framework to guide the growth of the UW-Madison campus. Open spaces, as well as historical and cultural landscapes on campus, are protected under the plan.

Major goals of the current plan include managing resources, making travel around campus easier and revitalizing outdoor spaces.

As a result of the plan, UW-Madison community members can expect to see changes including a “hub” library system, updated bike and pedestrian paths along with new indoor recreation facilities in coming years.

The plan will be featured, along with the other winners, in the September issue of Landscape Architecture Magazine.