Wisconsin top of West, four-team race for East title to Big Ten Championship game

With the 2018-19 college football season just barely underway, most teams are still hopeful that this year is their year. Last season’s tumults and flaws are by the wayside and — at least on the fan blogs and sports bars of college towns across the nation — there is nothing but potential for every team in the land.

Let’s put some of that hype out of the way and try to be slightly more realistic regarding the chances of success for the teams in the Big Ten.

The Big Ten is home to five legitimate playoff teams in Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, Penn State, and our beloved Bucky.

There is something glaring in that picture of playoff hopefuls; the strength of the Big Ten East. Four of the top 14 teams in both major polls call the eastern division home. This most likely means that these four programs will beat up on each other and result in one or two coming out of the season with playoff hopes dashed early.

Michigan State is a popular dark horse pick to make a run at the playoffs this season. After saving face from a 3-9 2016 season, a win in the Holiday Bowl last year demonstrated the revamped Spartan program. Senior running-back LJ Scott was a part of that abysmal season and no doubt would like to finish his tenure at MSU with a run to the CFP.

It will take a more developed Brian Lewerke at quarterback to propel Michigan State past the likely favorite in the Big Ten overall. That team? The Buckeyes of Ohio State.

OSU comes into the season with a plethora of talent, and knowledge of what it takes to make it to the playoff after an appearance last year in the number 4 slot. The young, yet skilled, tandem of sophomores quarterback Dwayne Haskins and running-back J.K. Dobbins. Named to the Freshman All-American team, Badger fans will remember Dobbins’ overwhelming speed and size from last year’s Big Ten Championship game.

In addition to these weapons on offense, junior defensive lineman Nick Bosa will anchor the Buckeye defense. Projected to be a top ten pick in the upcoming draft, Bosa’s pass-rushing abilities set him apart in the Big Ten and the nation.

Despite the abundance of talent and experience for the Buckeyes, the suspension of Head Coach Urban Meyer for the first three games of the season could prove to derail the unit. If OSU can overcome the off-field distractions, they are the likely favorite to give the Badgers their toughest obstacle in winning a Big Ten Championship and be a force in the East.

Unlike last year, Wisconsin faces a stout test in their crossover games against the east division, and will face a pair of tough road games on its way to achieving dreams of a College Football Playoff appearance. Trips to Penn State and Michigan will likely require a strong showing from the Badgers.

In particular, the high-level quarterback play of the Wolverines and Nittany Lions that may spell problems for the inexperienced Wisconsin secondary.

Mississippi transfer quarterback Shea Patterson will don the maize and blue this season, giving the Wolverines their first legitimate passing threat in the Harbaugh era.

The maestro of the Penn State offense will no doubt be dual-threat quarterback Trace McSorley.

With the departure of all-everything running back Saquon Barkley, receiver DaeSean Hamilton — the program’s all time leader in receptions — and standout tight end Mike Gesicki to the NFL, the Nittany Lions will look to McSorley in order to replace the combined 2,762 all-purpose yards the two accumulated last year. With the focus on McSorley, look for junior running back Miles Sanders to take over some of the responsibilities running the ball for Penn State.

These two quarterbacks will most likely attempt to pick on a young Badger secondary that was already thin before the departure of sophomore cornerback Dontye Carriere-Williams, the most experienced corner for UW.

Before they can test themselves against the East’s best, Wisconsin will travel to Iowa City to battle the Hawkeyes. Kirk Ferentz’s Iowa teams have a habit of beating the Big Ten’s best when they really don’t want to be beaten. The last two seasons have seen Iowa take down no. 3 Michigan in 2016, nearly beat Penn State last year and rout then-no. 5 Ohio State in Iowa City. If Wisconsin is not careful, week four could mean trouble.

Continuing on the topic of challengers to Wisconsin in the West, the primary team that comes to mind is Northwestern. Quietly a 10-win team last year, the Wildcats face four preseason top 25 teams this year which will most likely mean a drop in the polls. However, Northwestern returns seven starters on offense including quarterback Clayton Thorson.

Another challenger in the West could be a revived Nebraska. Led by former Central Florida coach and Nebraska alum Scott Frost, the Huskers are seeking to change the conversation surrounding a program that has failed to meet its own lofty expectations in recent years. After having their worst season since 1957, the Cornhuskers will rely on the energy of their new “national championship winning” coach, fresh off a perfect 13-0 season coaching UCF, to inject life back into the program.