State News

Spring storm blankets much of the state in record snowfall

In a surprising late-season storm, much of Wisconsin was blanketed in snow, burdening residents with winter delays after several warm days hinted to signs of spring’s arrival.

Image By: Brandon Moe

Spring has undoubtedly not sprung yet in most of Wisconsin. April brought with it large amounts of winter weather, marking a sharp increase in snow relative to past years.

The weekend dumped over two feet of snow on some areas of the state, topped by Waupaca County’s 28 inch-accumulation over the past few days.

Green Bay was blanketed in 24.2 inches, which marks the second most snow the area has ever received on record trailing only an 1888 storm that brought 29 inches to the city. With the added snow, Green Bay more than doubled the previous record for total snow in the city during April, with this year’s 36.7 inches trouncing 1907’s 15.1 inches.

The snow has brought with it challenges to government operations and transportation across the state. Five UW System schools canceled classes on Monday with UW-Fox Valley, Manitowoc, Marinette, Green Bay and Oshkosh deciding that the snowfall would prove to be too unsafe for students and staff to make it to class.

The April winter weather does not come as a much of a surprise to the National Weather Service in Sullivan. Following the storm, the service noted on their website that “April can either be wonderfully mild and spring-like, or just more of the same winter we are struggling to get away from."

The state is not out of the grip of winter weather. Wednesday may bring with it a chance of freezing rain and a mix of rain and snow for parts of the state in the northeast. The forecast does, however, signal a warm-up into the 50s by the end of the week.