Reconstruction of John Nolen Drive stands out among future road projects

Come 2024, John Nolen Drive will be in store for a major renovation, city engineers told Madison city council members at a meeting Tuesday.

According to the city’s engineering division, the project would account for more than 10 percent of the entire expected cost of all the major street projects the city expects to complete between now and 2024.

“We’ve been doing a lot of work and studying of the pavement on John Nolen Drive and the bridges and we’re getting to the point where we’re starting to think we need to program the reconstruction of those bridges,” said Chris Petykowski, a city engineer.

The city would be responsible for construction on the road from North Shore Drive down to Olin Avenue and hopes to begin designing the project next year.

Nearly $2.9 million of the the expected $31.7 million dollar project would be for the design of the rehabilitation.

Additional projects close to campus that were included in the five year plan include work on East Johnson Street, South Park Street and University Avenue.

The University Avenue reconstruction repair would be a joint project with the Village of Shorewood Hills and would be funded in 2022.