Assembly Session, Right to work, Budget 2015

Potential candidates fall into line as race is on to replace House Speaker Paul Ryan

For the first time since 1998 current Speaker of the House Paul Ryan will not represent Wisconsin’s First Congressional District

This reality sparked speculation about who will replace Ryan in the House of Representatives come November.

Located in southeast Wisconsin, the First Congressional District covers large amounts of swing territory. Despite this characterization, Ryan has not lost the district by less than 55 points in any election for the seat.

President Trump won the district by 10 points and conservative Sauk County Judge Michael Screnock won the district by five points over newly-elected Judge Rebecca Dallet earlier this month. However, former President Obama also won the district by five points in the 2008 election.

Despite the Republican command of the district, the left is hopeful they can win the district for the first time since 1993.

Ironworker and nationally prominent Democrat Randy Bryce launched a well-funded campaign against Ryan last July. Embracing his “Iron Stache” persona, Bryce has run on platforms of union strength, fighting climate change and economic equality and has been endorsed by Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt.

Upon Ryan’s announcement, Bryce tweeted that his base had “JUST REPEALED RYAN,” adding “now it’s time to replace him.”

Bryce’s campaign has raised around $2.1 million, slightly over two-and-a-half times as much as his Democratic challenger, Janesville school board member and part-time teacher, Cathy Myers.

Republicans are still in search of Ryan’s replacement.

Former White House Chief of Staff and current private attorney Reince Priebus was rumored to be considering the position. But Priebus has since announced that he will not enter the race.

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, is another possibility for the seat. Wednesday, Vos tweeted a photo of him at the White House with fellow state Representatives. He is expected to make an announcement regarding his candidacy this Friday.

A plethora of other state representatives have been rumored for the seat.

Former Ryan aide and state Sen. David Craig, R-Vernon, state Rep. Amy Loudenbeck, R-Clinton, and others have all been floated as potential replacements for the upcoming vacant seat.

The only Republicans to have declared their candidacy officially are former Army Green Beret and businessman Nick Polce, as well as another candidate who is a known white supremacist, who has been denounced by the Wisconsin Republican party.