At a town hall in Madison, U.S. Congressman Mark Pocan addressed gun reform and his stance on the recently passed federal budget.

Energized constituents press Congressman Pocan at Madison town hall

Greeted by a hometown crowd at the Goodman Community Center on Madison’s east side, U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Wis., focused on gun reform and the federal budget in his first town hall style meeting of the year.

While Pocan supported many of the resources included within the budget bill, he said he could not in good faith vote for a bill without knowing what was included in its entirety.

Although the recent federal omnibus spending bill increased support for childcare, Pell grants and paper ballots at voting machines, Pocan said he disagreed with such a sizeable increase in military spending.

Pocan said he also felt uncomfortable voting in favor for the budget with such little time to read it over.

After the brief update, Pocan opened the floor to the crowd for questions, but said he would not be commenting on the recent state elections, which saw liberal Milwaukee County Circuit Court Judge Rebecca Dallet elected to the state Supreme Court.

When asked what his objectives were for the current and future congressional sessions, Pocan noted his plan for introducing a debt-free college plan. Through work-study programs, Pocan hopes that one day, students can graduate without any debt.

However, he emphasized the need for a change in the legislative makeup this November for plans like his to make it onto the House floor.

In response to a question from a Madison resident and Stoneman Douglas High School alumnus on gun control, Pocan responded that in Congress, “we have moments of silence, but no moments of action.”

He called on his congressional colleagues across the aisle for action and help in curbing gun violence.

To his Republican coworkers and the National Rifle Association, Pocan said the issue was simply “greed versus survival.”

A group of student walkout organizers from Madison West High School were present at the meeting, and Pocan applauded them for their role in peaceful protest and change in the community. Pocan emphasized the youth’s importance in change as a response to the recent shootings.

Throughout the night, in response to many questions, Pocan applauded the work of his constituents and citizens nationally in protesting for change.

“If the people lead, eventually the leaders will follow,” he said.