Broadband expansion grants approved for rural Wisconsin

In an effort to increase internet access across the state of Wisconsin, Gov. Scott Walker awarded broadband expansion grants to businesses and municipalities across the state.

The Public Service Commission of Wisconsin awarded the new round of grants Walker announced Thursday.

Totaling more than $7.68 million, the 46 new grants will be extended to as many as 1,600 businesses and 18,000 residences in rural Wisconsin.

“Today broadband is revolutionizing education, health care, and business and improving the quality of life for Wisconsin’s rural residents,” Walker said in a press release. “With this historic round of Broadband Expansion Grants, we are another step closer to connecting every Wisconsin community.”

Nationally, Wisconsin ranks 32nd regarding broadband connectedness, with the average statewide connection speed being 27.8 megabits per second and the average connection in the U.S. is about nine megabits slower than that. Only 40.9 percent of the state has access to broadband speeds of 100 megabits per second or faster.

The projects approved by Walker today aim to provide a better communication infrastructure for rural Wisconsin businesses and families.

You can find exactly which cities and counties that have been awarded grants here.