The Madison chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America met Tuesday to discuss next steps in advocating for stricter gun laws.

“We’ve got MOMentum”: Madison moms meet to discuss next steps for gun reform

In the wake of last week’s national student walkout, the Madison chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America met Tuesday to discuss upcoming opportunities to engage with state and local politics on comprehensive gun legislation.

The group discussed the planned March for Our Lives at the state Capitol on March 23. The nationwide protest, which was originally organized by students from Parkland, Fla., is expected to draw thousands of activists fighting for stricter gun legislation to.

An estimated 3000 students attended the March 14 walkout.

"We're here to fight gun violence in all its forms,” one speaker said. “There's a lot of events you don't hear about. There are people who deal with [gun violence] every day- walking to school or to work, they fear for their lives."

The parent-led coalition also spoke about the upcoming state supreme court election held on April 3 between Dane County Circuit Court Judge Rebecca Dallet and Sauk County Circuit Court Judge Michael Screnock.

Additionally on April 5, the group is slated will host an “Advocacy Day” to allow members to talk one-on-one with legislators such as Rep. Melissa Sargent, D-Madison, Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, and businessman Khary Penebaker.

Other information and activities on how to properly and effectively engage with legislators was discussed as well. While members did not advocate for banning guns, they highlighted the importance of "taking on the NRA Leadership's radical "Gun's Everywhere" agenda."

According to organizers, in the wake of the Parkland shooting, the number of registered supporters for Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America has rocketed to four million.

"When the survivors of Parkland spoke out about gun violence, the entire nation became inspired," the speaker said. "These students are really taking a chance by going out there and they're waiting on us to take action."