State News

Walker signs bill to boost state funding for rural public schools

Gov. Scott Walker signed off on a bipartisan bill on Monday, introduced by state Rep. John Nygren, which would significantly increase state support for rural public schools.

Image By: McKenzie Halling

Rural public schools across Wisconsin will soon get access to more state dollars after Gov. Scott Walker signed a bill into law Monday providing supplementary funding.

The bill will increase Sparsity Aid across the state, allocating more funds per student in rural districts. Previously, schools that qualified for Sparsity Aid received a per-pupil sparsity amount of $300, which will now be increased to $400.

In addition, the bill will increase the revenue limit ceiling for these school districts to $9,400 in the 2018-’19 fiscal year, and will rise by $100 each subsequent year until the ceiling reaches $9,800 in the 2022-'23 fiscal year.

The bill was passed with support from both parties, clearing both chambers easily with a 90-3 vote in the state Assembly and a 31-1 vote in the Senate.

“I am proud to see this historic bill signed into law today, a bill that will have real-world impacts on the lives of our students and educators,” said state Rep. John Nygren, R-Marinette, one of the authors of the bill, in a statement. “These reforms mean more resources going directly to the classroom, increased educational opportunities, and educational excellence for every student.”

Walker also expressed his support for the bill Monday, saying, “I’m proud to sign this legislation to help support these students and schools. The increased funding will provide the necessary resources for rural school districts to address the unique needs they face like enrollment and transportation.”

Assembly Bill 835 and its statutes will take effect on July 1, 2018.