Dr. Christy Clark-Pujara spoke to approximately 60 students about the historical aspects of race in the U.S. and how this history plays a role in UW-Madison students’ day-to-day life.

UW professor discusses racial intricacies of U.S., campus histories

UW-Madison students gathered at the Social Science building Thursday to learn about the history of race, as well as discuss why race continues to be a relevant issue on the UW-Madison campus.

Dr. Christy Clark-Pujara, an associate professor of history in the department of Afro-American Studies at UW-Madison, spoke to approximately 60 students about the historical aspects of race in the U.S. and how this history plays a role in UW-Madison students’ day-to-day life.

During the event — hosted by the Pi Lambda Phi fraternity chapter at UW-Madison —

Clark-Pujara stressed that race is not a biological construct but rather a product of different social and political constructs.

“What we commonly refer to as race is a series of physical characteristics. These characteristics are not permanent but are fluid and change with every generation,” Clark-Pujara said.

Clark-Pujara said in order to understand the social construction of race, it is fundamental to understand its historical past.

“History gave and continues to give meaning to race,” Clark-Pujara said.

Throughout history in the U.S., elements that have impacted the development of race include slavery, white-supremacy, and government involvement, according to Clark-Pujara.

Clark-Pujara discussed how these elements have directly influenced the climate of UW-Madison.

She referenced hateful school organizations and hate crimes that have occurred on campus.

“When there are hate crimes on this campus, they mean something, and they mean something real,” Clark-Pujara said. “We should care about it.”

Clark-Pujara said UW-Madison students have a rich history of contributing to social and political activism.

She added one way students can cultivate a inclusive environment on campus is by speaking out about racial inequalities and disparities.

“The first thing that we need to be able to do is have some really serious, honest conversations about why this country looks the way that is does,” Clark-Pujara said.

Clark-Pujara has dedicated her time to teaching about the history of race because she believes it is an integral part of American society. And although she understands the complexities of race, she said she will never stop critiquing injustice.

“I expect the best of my nation,” she said. “And every time it falls short, I will shine a bright light.”