City News

Madison Common Council unanimously supports upholding State Treasurer position

With its future in jeopardy, Madison alders voted unanimously Tuesday in support of upholding the office of the State Treasurer.

Image By: Max Bayer

The Madison Common Council offered unanimous support Tuesday night for a resolution supporting the office of State Treasurer.

The resolution comes in response to an upcoming referendum on the removal of the office, which is set to be voted on statewide on April 3 in conjunction with the state Supreme Court election. The resolution was authored by Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, who was concerned with the lack of attention the referendum had received in the press.

“Few people are aware that this is on the ballot,” he said.

Council President Marsha Rummel, District 6, also commented on the lack of media coverage, asking the press to devote more attention to the issue.

State Republicans who support the referendum have noted that, if upheld, the office of the Treasurer would regain the authority that had been stripped from it over the past few years.

Council hopes to draw professional soccer to Madison

The council also approved an ordinance regarding renovations to Breese Stevens Field, which would add a concessions and restroom building to the complex.

The city hopes that Breese Stevens, located about a mile northeast of the state Capitol building, could potentially be the home stadium for a minor league soccer team that could come to Madison by 2019.