Republican leaders have announced plans to reconvene the Legislature to pass changes to state election laws after a judge ordered Gov. Scott Walker to hold special elections.

GOP leaders call for “extraordinary” session to change special elections law

After a judge ordered Gov. Scott Walker to hold special elections to fill two vacant legislative seats, GOP leaders announced plans for an “extraordinary” session to change the state’s special elections laws.

A Dane County judge found the governor had violated state law by refusing to call new races after two lawmakers stepped down to join his administration.

Friday — one day after the ruling — state Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, and Assembly Leader Robin Vos, R-Rochester, announced plans to call their chambers back to work to amend the state’s laws on special elections.

“It’s clear that little thought was given to the impact of the special elections ruling. In essence, there will be two elections occurring simultaneously for the two offices,” Vos and Fitzgerald said in a joint statement. "It will undoubtedly lead to voter confusion and electoral chaos. Also, holding the special elections after the conclusion of the regular session is a waste of taxpayer dollars and local government resources.”

Walker, who was already in talks with the two leaders, announced his intention to support the session and sign any such changes into law.

"It would be senseless to waste taxpayer money on special elections just weeks before voters go to the polls when the Legislature has concluded its business," Walker said. "This is why I support, and will sign, the Senate and Assembly plan to clarify special election law.”

State Democrats, who have been eager at the prospect of picking up more seats in special election upsets, celebrated yesterday’s ruling and accuse Republicans of depriving citizens of equal representation.

“The Republican efforts to prevent court ordered special elections from being held is the height of corruption and desperation,” said state Senate Minority Leader Jennifer Shilling, D-La Crosse. “This is outrageous and the public should not accept this abuse of power."