Police apprehended a suspect early Friday morning after he reportedly fired a shot in a downtown parking garage.

City committee to consider parking rate increases downtown

The Transit and Parking Commision is set to consider a proposed parking rate change Wednesday that would increase prices for select ramps and lots throughout downtown Madison.

The change will increase the hourly rates at the State Street Campus Garage from $1.30 per hour to $1.50 per hour, the State Street Capitol Garage from $0.90 per hour to $1.20 per hour and at the Brayton Lot from $1.80 per hour to $2.00 per hour.

If passed, the proposal will go into effect in June.

The Transit and Parking Commission will also vote on applying an hourly rate of $0.80 per hour at the Capitol East District Garage, which is currently under construction and is to open in the late summer or early fall.

A public hearing for the proposal was held by the commission on Feb. 14 during which the proposed changes faced local backlash.

"I get complaints from customers and employees all the time about how high the rates already are," said a downtown Madison business owner in a written statement. "Take a look around and you will find State Street is deteriorating and this is just another non business friendly move."

Those opposed to the rate change also noted that local employees are not seeing wage growth that would supplement this increase.

"I understand that costs are always rising, but most of us are not getting the same rise in our paychecks," said David Soumis of McFarland/Blooming Grove.