President Trump should not be immune from sexual harassment scrutiny

Recently, there have been numerous reports of women speaking out about their experiences with sexual misconduct in Hollywood. Due to these accusations, famous men and their reputations have been rightfully destroyed. The Time’s Up campaign has resulted in change in Hollywood, but as a society, we have a long way to go before time is really up. Even the President of the United States has been accused of sexual misconduct.

President Trump has a history of engaging in sexual misconduct and blatantly disrespecting women. Time is up for Hollywood men who have committed sexual assault, but time should also be up for Trump. People such as Harvey Weinstein are currently being ruined, but despite his horrific actions, Trump was elected and is still President. Though this may seem baffling, there are simple explanations for the situation we are in: Trump’s supporters continue to blindly support him no matter how awful his actions are, while Hollywood abusers were abandoned immediately.

Trump’s loyal supporters simply dismiss his wrongdoings. It seems that some people think “He’s the President, so he couldn’t have done such a thing. And if he did, it wasn’t that bad.” They could not be more wrong. It is because of those people that he was elected in the first place.

Trump has been caught on tape admitting that he has committed sexual assault. Proof of Trump using vulgar language to convey how he grabs women by their genitalia was made public but he was still elected to the highest public office possible. Nineteen women came forward and shared their stories of being sexually harassed by Trump, but his supporters did not bat an eye. Not only is it heart-wrenching, disgusting and frustrating, it is despicably hypocritical.

On the other hand, the Hollywood community has taken a stance against men who abuse their power to sexually assault and harass. The Time’s Up campaign has resulted in actors, producers and other members of the Hollywood community standing up against sexual predators and boycotting their films.

However, some members of the Republican party have not done the same. One of the most disturbing instances in Trump’s presidency is his public expression of support for Roy Moore in the Alabama special Senate election. Following several accusations that Moore sexually assaulted multiple women, at least one of whom was underage at the time, Trump continued to endorse him. The President of the United States purposely endorsed a pedophile.

Additionally, Trump has noted that he’s not a feminist and it is important to analyze what this means. He said that doesn’t consider himself a feminist because he’s “for everyone.” But in reality, the definition of a feminist is one who believes in equality of the genders. So in saying that he’s not a feminist, Trump is saying that he does not value gender equality. When it comes to women, the public has learned, Trump knows very little. This is just one of the many examples of the ignorance the president has displayed.

So, Trump says he’s not a feminist. This may be one of the few truths he has spoken, one of the first claims he has made that can be backed up with clear evidence. It is ridiculous that the President of the United States continues to hold the highest public office possible when he is known to have committed sexual misconduct, stood by a pedophile and boasted his lack of knowledge regarding women’s health.

Ashley is a freshman intending on majoring in journalism. Do you think the President should face harsher criticism for his comments and actions towards women? Send any comments to opinion@dailycardinal.com.