Dane County Executive Joe Parisi launched a petition Friday urging state and federal lawmakers to pass gun reform.

County launches petition to demand state and national leaders pass gun reform

Dane County Executive Joe Parisi launched a new initiative Friday allowing residents to voice their opinions on gun reform in light of the recent school shooting in Parkland, Fla.

The website allows people to sign a petition that requests the Wisconsin Legislature call a special session to pass what the site calls “common sense reforms.” It also asks Speaker Paul Ryan to do the same with Congress.

The reforms requested are:

1. Mandatory universal background checks
  2. Assault weapon ban
  3. Ban aftermarket devices (bump stocks) that allow you to modify your gun into a rapid fire weapon
  4. Keep men who are subject to domestic violence protection orders from having guns

“Together, as a county, state and nation our message to policymakers is clear: enough is enough,” the site states. “Congressional and state inaction to protect our children, our families, our schools, our churches and our communities is inexcusable.”

The most recent shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida was the 18th school shooting so far in 2018. Since the incident, the response from students and victims of the attack has been significant, as many have become vocal advocates for gun reform.

“The people who we put in to power, who should be working for us, they have us working for them, and that’s pitiful,” said Emma Gonzalez, a student of the high school in an interview with CBS News.

The suspect in this most recent shooting had legally acquired an AR-15 a year before the shooting and had passed a federal instant background check because he didn’t have a criminal record.

Currently, Americans that are adjudicated as being mentally defective or who have been admitted to a mental institution are barred from buying firearms.