College 101: Get Inspired by America’s Best Athletes

America is a proud nation, but certain events tend to bring out that pride more than others. The Winter and Summer Olympics really get us raring to wave the flag around and burst into an off-key version of “America the Beautiful.” It helps that, for the most part, Americans do really well at the Olympics. We may not lead the medal count every two years, but we’re always up there in the mix, and the athletes are generally competitive across a broad range of sports. You can watch the Americans demolish the competition at the pool in the summer, then, two years later watch as team in red, white, and blue rules over the snowboarding competition in the winter. We feel proud and awestruck all at once as the athletes push the limits of the human body. Speaking of human bodies, though, watching a lot of sports often leads to the desire to learn more about sports even as we work to better ourselves physically. No, we can’t perform a triple axel like figure skater Mirai Nagasu, but we can commit to a slightly healthier lifestyle that will make a small but noticeable difference in our quality of life.

Research the greats

After the Olympic flame is extinguished (at least until Tokyo in 2020), you’ll probably feel a little let down. If you’re looking for other sports to follow, then know that baseball season kicks off in April, and it’s called America’s Pastime for a reason. There are so many great stories just in the last two World Series winners: in 2017, the Houston Astros won it all just a few weeks after Hurricane Harvey devastated the region, and in 2016, the Chicago Cubs broke one of the longest losing streaks in sports. Baseball has a rich, proud history, much of which you can explore by visiting the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York. It’s a lot of fun for the whole family, but if you go, keep in mind that Cooperstown is not close to any major or even mid-sized metro areas. If you fly into the Albany airport, you’ll need to arrange a taxi from Albany to Cooperstown.

Work it out

Gym memberships can be expensive, but they don’t have to break the bank. Sure, there are premium gym facilities that will cost $50 or more a month, but you can get a no-frills membership for $10 or $20. Think about how far you want to go before you commit to the more expensive package. Make sure you speak with medical professionals and fitness experts alike before you do anything drastic or start taking any supplements. Supplements like Black Mamba Pills can have a place in your fitness regimen, but do some research before you commit to a particular brand or dosage. If you’re mixing cardio with weights and eating a healthy diet, you should see results regardless, but it’s up to you decide when you’re satisfied.