Jonathan Tsipis

Wisconsin welcomes Penn State in need of conference win

Looking to snap a six-game losing streak, the Wisconsin Badgers (0-5 Big Ten, 7-11 overall) prepare to host the Penn State Nittany Lions (1-4, 10-8) at home, Sunday Jan. 14th. Meanwhile, Penn State is also in need of a victory in order to break its current three-game losing spell.

In its latest game against Northwestern, UW fell short by a mere nine points, yet players such as Suzanne Gilreath made quite the impact with a record shooting night, going 5-of-5 from behind the arc, ending the game with 17 points. This game also welcomed Cayla McMorris back to the starting lineup, where she and Marsha Howard both added 13 points.

One aspect of the game which has greatly affected the outcome of most of UW’s games is rebounding, an area which continues to be an Achilles' heel for the Badgers. Against Northwestern, Wisconsin secured five second chance points, while Northwestern was able to pick up 15 second chance points.

As for Penn State, the team has experienced difficulty during Big Ten play. On the offensive end, PSU is led by Teniya Page, who averages 17 points per game, and Amari Carter, who averages 15.2 points per game. As for defensive and post play, Penn State is led by De’Janae Boykin, who in her last five games has just under eight rebounds per game.

Former high school teammates Niya Beverley and Carter will also have a reunion at the Kohl Center as both are early in their college careers.

“I’m excited for this matchup,” Beverly said. “I am just going to go out there and do my best; it is just like every other game.”

This game will be the 45th appearance between these two teams, and the Badgers have a winning record in their matchups when at home. Therefore, UW, while already looking to shake off its losing streak, will also aim to keep its winning record against Penn State at home alive as well.

With McMorris returning to her place in the starting lineup and Gilreath experiencing a hot hand in Wisconsin’s last game, these two should look to lead the Badgers in this game. Penn State will plan to matchup against Gilreath, as well try to shut down the Badgers’ post game.

Additionally, one player who has emerged as a leader during Big Ten Play, averaging a little over 10 points a game, is Courtney Fredrickson — a player Penn State has recognized as a powerful spark off the UW bench.

Tipoff is at 2 p.m. in the Kohl Center.