Senate shuts down federal government after talks collapse

The U.S. Senate triggered a government shutdown late Friday night after Republican leaders failed to gather the 60 votes necessary to move to a vote on a short-term spending plan.

Many Democrats refused to support any resolution to keep the government open without the inclusion of funds for the Children’s Health Insurance Program and permanent protection for Dreamers, children of immigrants currently shielded by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA.

The White House had indicated it would not put a DACA-extension on the table, all but ending hopes of a bipartisan agreement.

Five Democrats defected to support a vote on the bill, while four Republicans voted against the measure.

As of this weekend, thousands of government employees deemed nonessential will be furloughed and put on unpaid leave until an agreement is made in Washington. Federal workers will be paid retroactively once an agreement is reached.

The university, though it is a public institution receiving federal funds, will be largely insulated from the effects of the shutdown.

“In the event of a closure of the federal government (more commonly referred to as a shutdown or furlough), there will be minimal impact on schools, lenders and guaranty agencies and their ability to administer the Title IV Programs,” the U.S. Department of Education stated in a letter prior to the last government shutdown in 2013. “While [the department’s] federal offices would be closed during a federal government closure, the majority of Title IV processors, call centers, and Web sites will remain operational.”

Financial aid, loan programs, and research projects are also unlikely to be affected, according to the university.