A man was arrested Thursday for allegedly taking pictures of a female in a Witte Residence Hall bathroom.

Man arrested for taking photos in residence hall bathroom

A 27-year-old man was arrested by UW-Madison police Thursday after he allegedly snuck into a university residence hall, entered the women’s restroom and took pictures of a female inside last week.

Justin T. Fahy, a Monona resident, was arrested and charged with attempting to take photos depicting nudity and disorderly conduct after a female victim reported that he slipped his phone under a restroom stall and took photos of her around 2:45 p.m. last Friday.

According to a UWPD press release, Fahy identified himself as a Special Agent at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and said he mistakenly went into the wrong bathroom.

After search warrants were obtained to inspect Fahy’s phone and security footage from Witte Hall was reviewed, UWPD determined Fahy was in the women’s restroom for at least 14 minutes. Additionally, Fahy’s phone had recently been restored to a backup point from earlier this year, leading UWPD investigators to believe he was trying to get rid of evidence, according to the release.

Fahy has been formally banned from the UW-Madison campus.