Wisconsin closing gap in all-time series

The vast majority of the Wisconsin-Michigan rivalry has been all Wolverines (they hold a 50-14-1 all-time edge). Legendary Michigan coach Bo Schembechler used to wallop the Badgers year-in and year-out, going 18-1 against UW in his career.

The tables have turned of late though, as over the last seven matchups, the Badgers hold a 4-3 lead and have outscored UM 198-161. The Maize and Blue won the last year’s contest however, after pulling out a heart-breaking 14-7 win in Ann Arbor.

Jim Harbaugh’s 19th-ranked squad in the AP Poll will look to continue its winning ways this weekend against the undefeated No. 5 Badgers. Home field advantage, on the other hand, bodes well for UW, as three of the last four wins came at Camp Randall. The last time Michigan travelled to Wisconsin in 2009, quarterback Scott Tolzien led the Badgers with five all-purpose touchdowns en route to a 45-24 blowout victory.

In 2010, the last matchup before last season’s reunion, Wisconsin ran the ball 58 times for 357 yards and six touchdowns in a 48-28 victory, as then-offensive coordinator Paul Chryst called just one pass in the entire second half.

Some other exciting contests between the two in recent history include Michigan's 19-point comeback win in 2008 and John Stocco’s draw play for Wisconsin's winning score in 2005. The two teams could have reunited in the Big Ten championship game, but Michigan has yet to make it to Indianapolis. Wisconsin has won three Big Ten titles since Michigan's last one in 2004.

There is no trophy or official rivalry title between the two storied Big Ten programs, but that does not mean this clash lacks any intensity. Before last season, the teams hadn’t met since 2010 due to conference realignment and expansion, but that only contributes to the hype. Look for more of the same electricity this Saturday beginning with kickoff at 11 a.m.