Mark Figueroa, 22, was arrested after he allegedly cut a woman’s hand with a knife on the 600 block of State Street.

Homeless man arrested after cutting woman with knife on State Street

A homeless man was arrested after he attacked other homeless individuals near UW-Madison’s campus Friday night.

Mark Figueroa, 22, allegedly punched one man before pulling out a knife and using it to cut a woman’s hand, according to a Madison Police Department incident report. The altercation took place on the 600 block of State Street at approximately 9:25 p.m.

The dispute began because the suspect had been leaving open bottles of cough syrup in an area where a number of homeless individuals sleep, the female victim told police. When she and others confronted Figueroa, he allegedly became violent.

When Figueroa reportedly advanced on the victims with a knife, one knocked him down by throwing a skateboard at him. The injured woman said she attempted to call the police, but Figueroa broke her cell phone.

The female victim was eventually able to call for help from inside a local business. Police later found Figueroa and arrested him for substantial battery, disorderly conduct while armed and damage to property.