After blowout loss, Badgers looking to improve shooting against Southern

Coming off of a disappointing performance against in-state rivals Green Bay, the Wisconsin women’s basketball team (1-1) will look to bounce back Monday night as they host Southern University (1-1).

Southern University has had a start to their season that mimics that of Wisconsin as they blew out Mobile University in its season opener before falling to Indiana. Against the Hoosiers, the Jaguars shot less than 30 percent from the field, were outrebounded by 23 and committed 22 personal fouls.

The Jaguars was predicted before the season to finish fourth in the Southwestern Athletic Conference and is led by senior preseason All-Conference First Team forward Briana Green and junior center Sarai Blissett. Green is averaging 16 points, 9.5 rebounds and 2.5 steals a game for the Jaguars while Blissett is averaging 13 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks a game.

Sophomore center Abby Laszewski, junior forward Marsha Howard, graduate student center Kendall Shaw and sophomore forward Courtney Fredrickson will all look to contain Blissett and Green Monday night.

Look for Laszewski and Shaw, presenting a strong low-post presence, to contain Blissett. And expect Howard and Fredrickson to battle Green as all all three are tremendous scorers, rebounders, and competitors.

Early on Fredrickson has proven to be a valuable asset coming off of the bench, and if Howard gets into early foul trouble expect her to see an increase in minutes while defending Green.

Freshman Niya Beverly continues to have an impact for the Badgers so far this season as well. Look for her to continue to make her presence felt especially if Southern struggles to hold onto the basketball.

After mustering up only 34 points against UW-GB, UW will look to shoot the ball better against the SU as the Badgers missed all 16 of their 3-point attempts in their loss. After the loss, head coach Jonathan Tsipis noted that fans should not expect those shooting woes to continue. Monday night gives Wisconsin a prime chance to correct those wrongs. Tipoff at the Kohl Center is at 7 p.m.