Wisconsin looks to continue its winning ways against Cornell this weekend. 

Badgers look to continue winning ways against Cornell

For the third week in a row, the Wisconsin women’s hockey team is facing a ranked opponent. After sweeping No. 4 Ohio State last weekend (now ranked No. 5) by a combined score of 10-1, the No. 1 Badgers (14-0-0) travel to Ithaca, N.Y., this weekend to take on #7 Cornell (3-1-0).

The Badgers, off to their second-best start in program history, head into the series against the Big Red with confidence gained from two straight sweeps over ranked rival opponents, Minnesota and Ohio State. Sophomore forward Alexis Mauermann earned WCHA Offensive Player of the Week with three goals in two games against the Buckeyes and goalie Kristen Campbell was awarded WCHA Defensive Player of the Week after only allowing one goal on the weekend.

Cornell, comparatively, has only played four games this season, with two against ranked opponents. The Big Red won in their season opener versus then-No. 7 St. Lawrence, but dropped their next game to then-No. 2 Clarkson, 6-0.

Last season, Cornell made its 10th consecutive Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Hockey playoffs, where they made it to the conference championship game before losing 1-0 to eventual NCAA champion Clarkson.

The team returned its second-leading scorer in sophomore Kristin O’Neill, who currently has two goals and three assists on the season. Goalie Marlène Boissonnault holds a .913 save percentage to go along with a 2.36 goals against average. The Big Red’s previous goalie, Paula Voorheis, graduated last year after posting the second-best save percentage in a season for Cornell at .944.

The Badgers look to continue their stellar season and post a third consecutive series sweep against a ranked opponent. While Cornell is a good test of endurance and game shape for the Badgers, Wisconsin should be able to beat the Big Red handedly.