Odin worked as an explosive-detection and tracking K9 for UWPD since June 2010.

UWPD bomb-sniffing dog put to rest

The University of Wisconsin Police Department announced Tuesday the death of their eldest active K9 officer, Odin, who was put down at the age of nine.

In the weeks leading up to his death, Odin’s handler, Lt. Brent Plisch, noticed unusual behavior from Odin. According to a UWPD news release, Odin’s personality had changed as he became increasingly tired and lost his appetite. After a visit to the vet, it was confirmed that Odin had several masses on his liver and spleen.

According to the release, Plisch decided to put Odin down when his pain and suffering “far outweighed any short-term benefits that surgery might have offered.” Plisch said that he “made the decision to let him go in the most dignified way possible, giving him the chance to be as honorable in his death as he is in life.”

Odin worked as an explosive-detection and tracking K9 for UWPD since June 2010. During his career, he protected presidents, vice presidents, cabinet members, governors, first ladies, heads of state, the Dalai Lama and athletes. He also worked for multiple government agencies.

Odin was transported from his home to Memorial Pet Services via a police processional. He will be buried at a later date alongside past UWPD K9s Mosley and Rex.