UW-Madison Dean of Student Life promotes campus inclusivity following Las Vegas shooting

As the nation reels from a mass shooting in Las Vegas that killed 57 people, campus leaders weighed in, encouraging the campus community to come together in the wake of the violence.

Vice Provost for Student Life Lori Berquam released a statement Monday denouncing the shooting in Las Vegas and encouraging campus members to support one another.

Berquam called the events “horrific” and said there are no words to describe the “awful act.” She encouraged the community to come together and “reach out to one another to offer support” in wake of the tragedy.

“I know seeing all this pain and suffering around the country and around the world, can be very difficult, but it’s times like this where we cannot be defeated,” Berquam said in the release. “As a group, it’s times like this where it’s most important for us to come together, reach out one another to offer support, and to be present, knowing these terrible incidents impact us all, in different ways.”

In the release, Berquam provided students with information on how to get support and process recent events and to navigate campus services and resources. She told students to stop in, chat online or call the Dean of Students office staff at (608) 263-5700.

Additionally, Chancellor Rebecca Blank reached out to the community through Twitter to offer UW-Madison students affected by the event support. Blank reminded students that support is available through University Health Services.

Berquam said she wants the community to recognize that this is a difficult time for everyone.

“I call on you to be kind to one another, to reach out to other Badgers to offer to support, and to remind each other that no one needs to suffer alone,” said Berquam.