The Overture Center will be hosting several upcoming shows for the end of this year. 

Upcoming theater performances you won’t want to miss

I and You: Playhouse at the Overture Center (11/2 – 11/19)

When Anthony arrives at Caroline’s door quoting Walt Whitman’s “Leaves of Grass,” claiming they need to work on an assignment together for their high school English class, Caroline freaks out. Caroline has been absent from school for months and would rather spend her time online than facing reality. As these two let down their guards and share their secrets, their seemingly simple poetry assignment reveals a much deeper mystery that has brought them together.

Rhinoceros: Bartell Theater (11/3 – 11/18)

If you’re looking for an action-packed play, Eugène Ionesco’s “Rhinoceros” is the one for you. A wild rhinoceros rampages through a small, provincial French town and shatters the peace. Humans are turning into rhinoceroses, and one man struggles with his place in this new reality as his fellow towns-mates transform. The avant-garde style play deals in an evolving world where savagery is simpler than empathy, and humanity is absent.

Is He Dead?: UW Madison Theater Department - Mitchell Theatre (11/16 – 12/10)

This comedy, adapted by David Ives from an unpublished Mark Twain story, revolves around a young, talented painter (based on the real-life Jean-Francois Millet) who finds his dreams of marrying prevented by debt and a lack of buyers interested in his work. Forced into desperate measures, he realizes that no artist is truly successful unless he is dead. So, naturally, he fakes his own death. Millet develops a masquerade that causes hilarious impediments as he tries to secure his fortune and get the girl.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas: Overture Center (11/21 – 11/26)

Christmas is just around the corner! Kick off the Christmas season with the magic of Dr. Seuss’ classic holiday tale. In this heartwarming but cunning classic, the Grinch discovers that there is more love surrounding Christmas than he ever knew. Max the Dog narrates as the mean and scheming Grinch, whose heart is two sizes too small, decides to steal Christmas away from the holiday-loving Whos.

A Christmas Carol: Children’s Theater of Madison - Playhouse at the Overture Center (12/9 – 12/21)

Looking for a kid-friendly musical? Check out the Children’s Theater of Madison’s grandest production of the year, “A Christmas Carol.” Take the journey with the mean Scrooge from irritable, cantankerous old man to all-around good guy. With music, dancing and plenty of “Bah Humbug’s,” this show is guaranteed to warm the hearts of the whole family.

The Nutcracker: Madison Ballet - Overture Hall (12/9 – 12/27)

Madison Ballet helps to ring in the holiday season with the timeless story of “The Nutcracker,” filled with some of literature’s most treasured characters. Children will marvel at the towering Christmas tree and beautiful set pieces while adults will be delighted by the strength and romance of classical ballet, set to Tchaikovsky’s famous score played live by the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra. This is another show bound to please the entire family, young and old.