The Broke Student’s Guide to Fashion

Everyone has their personal sense of style. However, in college, what you might not have is the means to purchase that style. Especially with Madison’s constantly changing seasons, there is always an opportunity to say, “I don’t have the right outfit!” So, how do we find a way around this struggle?

First, plan ahead. No, don’t actually do that. Don’t even think you could successfully achieve that, because college style is usually about what’s easiest and accessible.

Get imaginative

Buy or find a few plain white t-shirts. Grab a handy pair of scissors, get on YouTube and get creative. Even if you think it’s corny. There are many tutorials and how-tos on cutting plain t-shirts to create masterpieces. Find a really cute idea and try to replicate it to the best of your ability. The best thing about white T-shirts is that they’re both really cheap and easy to get your hands on, so messing up is not a big deal.

Don’t pack up summer clothes yet

The dropping temperatures aren’t going to allow anyone to rock tank tops and shorts for too long. However, that doesn’t mean you should shove them all in the back of your closet. Just layer up! Scarves, cardigans, jackets and sweaters offer the chance to revamp clothes you already have. Wear open-front jackets and cardigans over summer tees. Try knee socks or tights under a flowy skirt. Throw a scarf on top of a sundress. The possibilities are endless!

Invest in a pair of black leggings

You can pair leggings with absolutely everything, and for some reason, they’re equipped for almost any activity and time of day. They have the magic quality to look class-ready, party-ready and movie marathon-ready. When you’re a little too late for class, they’re easy to slip on, and we cannot forget just how comfy they are.

Go beyond styling clothes

Your closet may have certain limitations that can be solved by styling other aspects of your look. The way you do your hair every morning doesn’t cost much money. You can change it every day, switching from tight ringlets to sleek straight to beachy waves. Also, the same pair of white converse, black heels and brown boots can go with almost anything, and each pair will give off its own vibe. The power of shoes must never be underestimated.

Maximize minimalism

Try to avoid buying too many statement items. For starters, they're often expensive. Additionally, they are called 'statement' pieces because they are not basic, which means they won't go with many outfits. In turn, that means that you'll need to buy more clothes to create a full closet. When you’ve got close to nothing in your bank account, you definitely don’t want to reduce the balance more. Instead, just a get a simple necklace or wristband that you can wear all the time.

There comes a time in many people’s lives when they have to choose between eating at a restaurant and making another pack of ramen. During such dark days, buying a t-shirt or a pair of jeans may seem like a criminal act. That means it’s time to get imaginative, value summer clothes, use and reuse a pair of black leggings, do hair differently and accessorize plainly. After all, you can be a broke student and still satisfy your aesthetic demands.