“I take the position that we shouldn’t have a special counsel at this time. We should let the [congressional] committees do their work,” U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., said.

Ron Johnson: Special counsel Robert Mueller should resign

Even after the first indictments were handed down Monday, U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., believes special counsel Robert Mueller should resign his post.

On Friday afternoon, Johnson told press he thinks Mueller should leave his post as special counsel during the investigation of Russian influence in the 2016 presidential campaign.

“I take the position that we shouldn’t have a special counsel at this time. We should let the [congressional] committees do their work,” Johnson told the Racine Journal Times Editorial Board.

He also said that Mueller should resign due to the FBI’s handling of Hillary Clinton’s private email and the newly disclosed information regarding the sales of U.S. uranium while Mueller was the FBI director.

Regarding the Clinton investigation, Johnson said that it is “not an investigation by the FBI designed to get the truth leading to an indictment and a conviction,” rather, it was an “investigation primarily to exonerate.”

“To me it sounds like [Mueller] has some serious, serious conflicts of interest, and I think he ought to be resigning as special counsel right now,” Johnson told the The Journal Times about the Clinton Foundation receiving large amounts money from Russian nuclear industry officials.

On Monday, Johnson said he stands by his statements, even after the first indictments were handed down examining the Russian interference during the presidential election.

Ben Voelkel, a spokesman for Johnson, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel “day to day developments don’t change the senator’s view that a special counsel was appointed far too early in this process.”

Mueller was selected as the special counsel of the investigation after President Trump fired James Comey as FBI director.