Engine Company 1, a unit of the Madison Fire Department, just happened to come across an injured cyclist who needed help Sunday.

Madison Fire Department stumbles upon State Street cyclist after he bonks head, needs stitches

A bicyclist suffered head injuries Sunday after wiping out on State Street — but luckily, a Madison Fire Department unit was closeby to help.

The incident happened around 2:50 p.m., according to Madison Fire Department Public Information Officer Cynthia Schuster, on the 400 block of State Street.

The cyclist needed to stop unexpectedly, but wasn’t able to unclip his feet from the bicycle pedals fast enough. He fell over and hit his face on the handlebars, resulting in a facial injury that needed stitches, according to Schuster.

It wasn’t long before the MFD unit, who was driving by, spotted the victim.

“Engine Company 1 happened to be passing through State Street at the time,” Schuster said. “They approached the patient, bandaged his injury, and offered to page an ambulance if needed.”

The cyclist said he could make it to a doctor himself and reportedly went to a local hospital for stitches.