Madison Police Department arrested Ellis Slaughter, an employee of Leia's Lunchbox, Sunday after he had attempted to break up a dispute near the food truck and pointed a rifle at the two fighting individuals. He is being charged with second-degree recklessly endangering safety.

Gun-wielding man on State Street charged with felony

A Madison resident who aimed a rifle at one fighter in a brawl he attempted to break up Sunday will be charged with second-degree recklessly endangering safety, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

31-year-old Ellis Slaughter, an employee of the Madison food cart Leia’s Lunchbox, was arrested Sunday evening following the incident, which occurred at approximately 1:44 a.m.

After he tried to subdue an argument, the two quarreling men began fighting with him as well. He then “retrieved a sub-compact assault-style rifle and pointed it at one of the men," Madison Police Department Public Information Officer Joel DeSpain told the Wisconsin State Journal.

The gun was not fired, but Slaughter ran from the scene toward Langdon Street from the food cart’s location at the corner of North Frances Street and State Street . Police are still investigating whether the weapon was real.

Following Slaughter’s flight, one of the men in the initial argument punched an individual who had been waiting in the food cart line. The suspect, a 29-year-old Madison resident, was arrested for battery.