Foxconn Technology Group may hold recruiting events at UW-Madison soon.

Foxconn actively recruiting at Marquette — and UW-Madison is likely next

Foxconn Technology Group plans to bring at least 13,000 new jobs to Wisconsin — and it’s looking to the state’s college campuses to do so.

Foxconn, the electronics manufacturing company that last month received a gargantuan $3 million subsidy from Wisconsin’s government to build a plant in the state, announced Monday that it would hold two networking and recruitment events at Marquette University in Milwaukee. UW-Madison administrators expect the flagship campus will host similar events in the near future.

The company will hold “Foxconn Days” at Marquette Oct. 9 and Oct. 23, according to a press release. Foxconn representatives already attended a career fair in the state last week, at UW-Milwaukee.

Foxconn’s plant will be in southeastern Wisconsin, much closer to the campuses of Marquette and UW-Milwaukee than to UW-Madison. But UW-Madison spokesperson Meredith McGlone said students can expect to see Foxconn recruiters on campus soon.

“We're working with them to plan an event,” McGlone said. “We don't have a date yet, but hope to know more soon.”

For Foxconn’s part, the company said it plans to hold events at colleges all over the state “as part of its effort to recruit talent for its advanced manufacturing campus to be built in Racine County.”

“We look forward to meeting talented students and professionals during the Foxconn Day events across Wisconsin,” Louis Woo, Foxconn Special Assistant to the Chairman and CEO, said in a statement. “We are excited to make career opportunities available in the state and grow the team that will help us create a robust 8K+5G ecosystem in the United States.”

The plan to bring Foxconn to the state faced fierce backlash, especially from Democrats in the state Legislature, but eventually passed and was signed by Gov. Scott Walker. The Taiwanese company will build its plant, which will be larger than 11 Lambeau fields, in Mount Pleasant.